Friday 8 October 2010

The problem with me is...

There's something that effects us all regardless of background, gender, income, skin colour, waistline, hairstyle or house size.  Something that screws us up.  Something that wants to destroy us.

Sin.

Whether you are a minister or an atheist, a monk or a hedonist sin is a problem for you.  Now, don't get me wrong, sin is not some evil force you have to destroy with light sabers and wooden stakes. Sin comes from the choices we make. It is every time we choose to do something that goes against God or every time we don't do something that would please Him. We know when we sin because of our conscience. My sin is my fault, your sin is your fault - no one else's.

I hate sin. If I'm honest I enjoy it, but I hate it.  I hate it because of it's consequences. The broken relationships, the guilt, the eroding of what's right and what's wrong...  Everything that is wrong with the world is because of sin, yours and mine.  Don't blame Adam or terrorists or the government or the pope or school teachers, blame yourself and blame me.

We all sin.  We're all guilty.  Sorry Lord.

If you hate sin because of what it's doing to you and others around you, if you want rid of the burden there is a way out. Jesus Christ. He came into the world to save sinners (1 Tim 1:15), he can take away the sin of the world (John 1:29) he can remove your guilt (John 8:36).  Only He can do it. Turn to Jesus and He will set you free. 

If, like me, you're a christian who still sins, it's time for us to change, it's time for us to take hold of the full life Jesus promises us. Let's stop holding on to sin.

Let's everyone step into the fresh warm light of Jesus, sin does us no good but without it we are released prisoners. We are free to do the good that our hearts yearn for. I have tasted this freedom, I taste it now and it is good!

-----------------------------------------------------

The Prayers of Rathcoole Presbyterian and I'm sure all Christians are with the family of Rebecca McManus who was killed yesterday (7/10)  in a car crash at Hazelbank roundabout (news report here).

No comments:

Post a Comment