Wednesday 16 February 2011

Very alarming

We had had a bit of a scare.

23 of us where away last weekend to Rostrevor and stayed in a youth centre (don't worry most of our group actually were youth unlike my good self).  We had a great time but there was one incident that we'd be happy not to repeat.

It was four o'clock in the morning when the carbon monoxide alarm went off in the kitchen of the centre.  The girls that heard it first very wisely got us all up and we left the building.  It was raining and cold and there were a lot of grumpy faces. 

The incident brought back memories for some of past tragedies (support CO awareness here) and brought to the surface the ever-present underlying fear for leaders when they take young people away.  We followed procedure, we got out, got the fire-brigade out and stayed out.

Before too long the fire-brigade arrived, blue lights flashing, and sorted the situation out.  It turned out it was a faulty alarm and we could all return to bed an hour and a half after the whole thing started, tired but safe.

There are a lot of people in danger at the minute, heading towards eternal lostness and the alarm needs to sound.  The church needs to ring the bell loud and clear and warn everyone  that they need to run to safety.  Some just roll over, covering their head with a pillow, unwilling to hear the warning.  Others get very grumpy that anyone has dared disrupt their lives at all with the unpleasant message of the reality facing them.  But some will heed the warning, will evacuate their own doomed way of living and flee to Jesus and live. Which will you be?

The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; 
my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, 
my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
Psalm 18:2

------------------------------



1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful wonderful song. So glad you linked it in to your wise advice to us all.

    ReplyDelete