Tuesday 1 February 2011

Homoerectus Influenza

I'm sick.

Sore head, sore throat, bunged up. Yes, that's right, it's another tragic case of man-flu.

My long-suffering wife has been very kind to me in my distress, she has met my every demand - feed me, nurse me, medicate me - while I have lay about like a beached whale enjoying the attention and sympathy.

I think churches are prone to a variant of man-flu,  let's call it church-flu. The symptoms of church-flu can appear very serious, lack of leaders, lack of money, a congregation that's growing older, a building that's crumbling.  But let's get to the heart of these problems.

The church-flu sufferer that complains of these things, decides that the only thing they can do when faced with these ills is to lie about complaining.  'Woe is me', it cries, 'woe is me'.  What they is actually saying is that God has not properly equipped them to do the work he has given them, He is unreasonable, unfair and unfaithful.  God is working His people like a slave-driver in ancient Egypt - what a cruel God we have.

God has not (according to church-flu sufferers) lived up to His promises of making their burden light, He is not a refuge for them but rather they are having to carry Him.  'Woe, Woe, Woe'.  NO!

If God has given us enough to do what he asks us to do (which He definitely has) then the problem must lie at our end.  Are church-flu sufferers simply doing the wrong things, those things which God has not asked them to do.  Or are they perhaps not accessing, through prayer, the resources God has set aside for them, or are they trusting more in the power of people and money and stuff than the unstoppable power of God?

Man-flu is annoying, church-flu can be a killer, if you or your church is suffering from it then don't allow yourselves to wallow any more.  Stop laying around feeling sorry for yourselves, come before God and get it sorted out.

I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13-14

--

No comments:

Post a Comment