Friday 18 February 2011

Sleeping's for wimps

There are a number of things that can stop a 'leader' getting enough sleep on a youth weekend.

The sound of teenagers playing midnight baseball, excessive and violent snoring, late night chats with the person in the bottom bunk, the person in the room next door having late night chats with the person in the bottom bunk and alarming alarms can all prevent restful nights.  However last weekend I  encountered an additional unexpected problem.

I have one of those sleeping bags with a hood.  It is great, very 'snugly' as the wife would say but it is bloomin' hard to get into.  I struggle with the whole simultaneous wriggle, hop and zip of a normal sleeping bag but the hood adds a whole new dimension.

My problem was that no matter how hard I tried I could never seem to get in the right way round first time.  When I put the hood up for extra comfort it ended up covering my face.  Comfy, but deadly.  The great thing I had would end up killing me.  The wriggling continued until sleep was almost more hassle than it was worth.

It is important to have comfort in life.  By that I meant true comfort in the middle of the people of God.  A place where we can have shelter from all the stress and strains, temptations and trials of life on earth.  It is God-given comfort.  However the goal is not to live in church, to always constantly be surrounded with like-minded safe people but instead to be restored, encouraged and strengthened so that we can go out into the world and glorify Jesus.

Instead at times we linger in church surrounded by the comfortable people and the comfortable things.  When we do this we are in grave danger of suffocating our witness.  That is something worth losing sleep over.

Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Matthew 28:18-20

--

No comments:

Post a Comment