Friday 4 February 2011

Little by little

Two little boys, different in size, age and nature always seem to gravitate towards each other at Anchor Boys.

Why this happens I just don't know but it does.  Last night was no exception. Little and Big where playing together in the usual ways.  Big was playing in his big way and Little in his little way.

It led to lots of this;

Big: The Startroopers are going to steal all the Rockets
Little: Philip, he took my Rocket.
Me: Come on now you have to share, give him back his rocket.
Little: Yes, I've got my rocket back, you'll never catch me again..... Phil, he took my rocket, again!

They are an unusual pairing but they seem to be stuck with each other.

After one particularly epic intergalactic tussle Little headed my way clutching his arm. I had been watching them closely and I could not work out when any harm could've come to him so I was a little nervous about what was about to transpire.

"Philip?"
"yes?"
"You see him, he could've broken my powers"
"Sorry, what?"
"He could've broken my powers but it's ok, look..."

He then adjusted the imaginary Power Dial on his arm and flew off around the room with one arm outsretched. Fantastic.

We are Little.  For some reason we seem to want to play with an inapropriate playmate, temptation.  It seems like fun but it is only going to led to us getting hurt.

Maybe you are flirting with temptation at the moment.  An office worker, some easily accessible money, gambling, laziness...  it seems like it might be fun to indulge just this once.  Trust me, the fun of anything like that is very shortlived, in the end only hurt happens. Hurt to you, hurt to your relationships and distance between you and God, that hurts the most.

Temptation though, never has to win, there is no temptation greater than what we can withstand - God ensures that.  So shake yourself, see that temptation as the harmful thing it is and walk away.  When you do you'll be able to say,

"That temptation could've broken me but it's ok, look!"
(Flying round the room at this point is optional... but recommended.)

No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
1 Corinthians 10:13

--

No comments:

Post a Comment