Thursday 10 March 2011

lol :-)

Things are getting out of hand.

There I was doing the weekly shop in our nearby grocery megastore, just minding my own business, when suddenly it happened, it was a new low for modern-day society.

The lady was in her thirties. She seemed pleasant enough but she was chatting loudly on her mobile phone.  I have no real problem with this but it was almost impossible not to listen in and I, nosey by nature, was compelled to pay attention.

She was clearly talking to a friend with whom she was having some light-hearted verbal sparring, banter if you will.  It was all pretty harmless until she said something which disturbed me greatly.  Her friend had obviously said something mildly amusing when she replied:

'That's so funny, laugh out loud'

I know.  She actually said in full a phrase used as an abbreviation to show amusement in electronic non-verbal communication.  She also lied, she did not as she inferred, 'laugh out loud' quite the opposite.  She was so far away from the spontaneous urge to lose control with an out-loud laugh that she was able to say the words, 'laugh out loud'.  I was dumbstruck, it was all I could do to stop myself from slapping her in the face with a packet of prawns.  Don't talk about laughing out loud woman; just laugh out loud or be quiet!

Also stop talking about loving God [I'm talking to myself now], or loving your neighbour, or being gracious, or trusting in Jesus; stop talking about it and do it.  They are our text messages but they are not to be meaninglessly quoted in conversation, they are to be acted on.

If we do not 'practice what we preach' we shouldn't be letting on that we do by what we say, that is called hypocrisy and it's not good. 

Anyway, rant over.

ttyl

(Jesus Said) “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."
Matthew 7:21

--

No comments:

Post a Comment