Friday 25 March 2011

I could be your hero, baby

Superman, Batman, Spiderman and I all have something in common.

I'm not talking about the beautiful love interest (high-five to the Wife) or the oddly dressed and slightly camp side-kick (high-five Rocky).  Oh no, I talking about the secret double life.

That's right folks, by day I am a mild-mannered, bible-thumping, blog-writing, ginger-haired ordinary, run-of-the-mill kinda guy.  But at night I change into a crime-fighting, Lycra-wearing superhero with dayglo tights and my undercrackers on the outside.  I can scale tall-buildings (with the help of a lift) jump higher than a house (houses can't jump) and strike terror into the hearts of bad-guys everywhere...

Oh no wait, that's not me...em...

Unfortunately my secret double-life is not as exciting as the heroes of old.  In fact it's not even always a positive side of me.  The things I do in secret are often done that way because I am ashamed of them.  Am I the only one? Are the rest of you completely good and upright in private as well as public?

The bible says broadly two things about our secret private lives.

1) It's shameful to even say out loud what some of us get up to behind closed doors. (Ephesians 5:12)
and
2) We should be spending our private time with God instead of indulging our pride by praying, fasting and giving in front of everyone for all to see. (Matthew 6)

In short, we are being told to keep our private times pure by devoting them to God instead of shameful 'deeds of darkness' and keep our public lives humble by not boasting or showing of how flipping utterly wonderful we are.

I don't need to be a superhero, I've got one of them already.  I just need to remember that His vision of me is much clearer than even x-ray eyes could see and that He demands the highest level of devotion from those who rely on Him for their safety.  In Jesus' case hero worship is entirely appropriate.

The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armour of light.
Romans 13:12

And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Matthew 6:5-6

---

No comments:

Post a Comment