Wednesday 26 January 2011

Every second counts

I grew up wanting to be a hero, didn't everyone?  I never quite made it.

This realisation struck me recently, the one that says, 'You've grown up and you are not what you dreamed you would be.'  This disturbed me for a while but now...now I'm glad.

What I once thought of as a hero I no longer do.  Scoring the winning goal in an FA cup final does not make them a hero - it makes them a good footballer.  Getting to number one with your debut single does not make you a hero - it makes you a good singer (or a good marketing tool).  Delivering a box of chocolates through an open hotel window to a beautiful scantily clad woman while you're dressed all in navy does not make you a hero - it makes you a social deviant. 

You may look at your life and see it slipping past unnoticed.  You may think that you do nothing of worth, that no good comes of you. You get frustrated, down-hearted, panicked even.  If you feel this way the antidote is not far from you.

To make your live worthwhile make every second count, devote every second to God. Live fully how he would have you live.  Help that lady with her shopping, refuse to gossip in the workplace, stand-up for the vagrant in the street, work hard, be trustworthy and honest, share your love, share God's love.

There is one hero worth the worship.  His name is Jesus and he gave all  that He had, his very life, for people who did not ask for it, who did not want it and who, in many cases, rejected His love even after He had given all for them.  Jesus Christ is my hero, imitate Him.

My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command.
John 15:12-14


---------------------------------------------------


A little mid-week music for you now:

Two hands by Jars of Clay.



No comments:

Post a Comment