Tuesday 13 September 2011

Name and shame

I love giving stuff names.

Whether it's a new pet, a church organisation or an imaginary coffee shop I get super-excited about what it might be called.  If someone were to suggest doing something a little left-field like, say, buying a goat, I'll not be thinking about how much food it needs or whether it's going to chew more than just weeds, I'm not concerned how much milking we'll need to do or how we'll get rid of the mountains of poo. Oh no, I'm asking, 'What're we gonna call the little blighter?' before not getting one in the end after all (see yesterdays post for the reason why).

Some friends of mine have made an attempt at starting a band.  Just imagine my delight when they came rushing to me to think of a name for it (I might be misremembering that part).  Being Christian lads they wanted something nice and Holy and I was on it.  I was churning out great names faster than Elvis performs weddings, I was on fire, here are some of my favourites:

The Saints
Sons of Thunder
God's Own Anointed Teenagers
Kingdom of Silence
The New International Versions
White Stone
In Tune with the Lord

Some corkers I'm sure you'll agree but they went with none of them, Every suggestion I made was met with a look that said, 'Yeah thanks, em... we'll put it on the list.'

Names are not the be all and end all, it doesn't really matter what people call you, it's what you're like on the inside that's important, right? Well sort of.  Your name is not important but if you are going to put a label on yourself you'd better live up to it.  If my musical friends call themselves a 'Christian' band and then go on drink and drug fuelled benders, smashing guitars over pensioners heads and throwing TVs out of hotel windows then the label means little.  In fact it would be better for them to have avoided that label altogether.

Many of us claim to be one thing and are really another.  Let's make sure we are faithful to the labels we so proudly hang around our necks.

By the way, got any good names for a band?

He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him who receives it.
Revelation 2:17

---
And now, a song about identity...




---

No comments:

Post a Comment